Friday 21 September 2012

The Beach!

The first time chance we got we went to the beach. 


Little did we know the first chance we got would be on the rainiest day so far. A few of us still went swimming and the water was like a bath. It was rainy and windy when we got out, but it actually felt really good to be cold! And I would not ever say that in America.. I'm not much for the cold. But here any moment it's cold is a good one. It was the same day as our naming ceremony so getting out of those hot, constraining clothes and into a bathing suit then jumping in the ocean felt like heaven.

The beach we went to is called Lebayto. It's a tourist destination for sure. We sat down for lunch at a resort type of place so it was very nice, but too touristy for my liking. I'd like to find a beach that isn't so touristy. There were a lot of tubabs thereBut if we're looking for luxury it's a good place to go.

We played tossed around an American football and played some wiffle ball which was lots of fun. Very American, but lots of fun. 


It was at Lebayto that I fell in love with Gambian beer. It is locally brewed, called Julbrew and only 30 dalasi or about 1 American dollar. This fact just added to my excitement. 1 dollar beer, not bad. Plus it tastes really good. I can already tell I'm going to miss it when I go back home.

The next time we went to the beach it was sunny and beautiful.


We jumped in the water then sat in hammocks with our books. It was heaven on Earth.

Madeleine and I.

This is the view from our hammock. This sunny day we went to the beach was right after our visit to a village up country so we had just experienced a whole other different way of living and were happy to pamper ourselves at the beach. Stay tuned for the story of us at the village!


No comments:

Post a Comment